Well… I figured out to mount my old NAS box, and while it is a treasure trove of media, it is also a big, unsorted mess. It’s going to take some time for me to dig through and find albums, artwork, and put it all together.
For the moment I think I have settled on Bandcamp as a target to upload content. It seems to be reasonable service wise compared to soundcloud. I’ll keep playing around though. Below is the album, enjoy!
Aboriginal Dream by NearTao
The patch Old School Cinema started life on the Pocket Operator Tonic. I recorded the hits into the Akai S950 at 10khz, because I was afraid that some of the longer bass notes would exhaust the sample memory, and honestly I didn’t want to be chopping on the S950 for an hour. I was able to squeeze everything into the roughly 60 seconds of sample time I had available at the 10khz sampling rate. Honestly, I could have probably squeezed it in a bit better, but I was trying to let some of the longer notes ring out.
I played the samples pitched down a bit in the S950 to get a bit more grit and deepen the kick drum and bass notes. I’m pretty happy with the patch as it is, though you’ll notice that the bongo sounding hit has a lot of noise in it. I had normalized all the notes together, but you could still barely notice the bongo, particularly in a mix. I ended up normalizing the bongo, but this also amplified the line noise. It could probably use some filtering, but for anybody who likes having dirtier samples, that bongo is for you.
I’ve gone through and color coded the pads just for my visual preference so I can get a sense for what different sounds are on different pads. You’ll find the bottom row is drums, the two middle rows are bass, which I converted to note on instead of one shots, and I set all of the bass notes on a mute group so that you don’t drown out the bass. That leaves the top row with some glass bell type sounds.
If you’re looking for a quick demo of the patch I’ve uploaded a video here.
Today is just a Clean Analogue Bass recorded on the Akai S950. Nothing too special, and I kept the sample size down. The sample range is from C0 through C4 so there is a pretty good range to play with.
Here is my next patch for my MPC X Tape Grand Piano. I started with a multisample Grand Piano sampled into the Akai S950 at C/F note intervals. So samples a bit stretched, but it sounds pleasant enough, and certainly a bit more realistic than the strings a made recently.
The patch was again routed through a tape effect to give it some not so subtle tape warble. A pretty big problem that I had making this patch, is that it is over 60 samples, and while the auto sampler in the MPC X/Live is nice, it isn’t a complete solution. So I ended up spending a fair amount of time trimming the samples, only to remember that there is still a bug that if you record the content through a single input, it still records the sample as stereo.
I ended up using Fission as my rescue, since it has the ability to batch convert files, allowing me to get the samples halved in size from about 50mb down to 24mb or so. There was no stereo content so it wasn’t really a loss, and more of a productive savings. I’m going to have to keep auto recording patches though so I can get a better workflow established. Once things settle down I’ll definitely make sure I take some better notes.
I haven’t played with the patch too much, I’ll need to see how stable (or unstable) chords sound. I’ve considered normalizing all the samples, but for now they are at a fairly quiet level. I was hearing clipping coming in from some part of the input chain, so I’ll definitely need to spend some more time and figure out where I am going wrong. I bet it is both simple and obvious.
As before, the Program file is MPC X/Live, but the .wav files can be used anywhere. If you end up using the patch in anything, please feel free to drop a link in the comments!
So reality is starting to set in as I try and consider all of the content I have ever created, and where the heck it is. Servers are gone, my network addressable storage (NAS) won’t mount on my computer. I have a bit of a road in front of me to recover my digital life again. I am not giving up already, but it looks like I may have to face some harsh realities about the time investment I need to put in so I can accomplish what I set out to do.
Deep breaths, and just take notes of what needs to be done.
- Links to message boards, social media, etc…
- Upload music albums
- Upload photo albums
- Curate through old sample libraries
- Figure out what to do with tutorial videos
- Replace all the generic artwork… my goodness is it ever present.
All that, while working on building out a plan to move forward. No buggy.
Today I spent some time trimming recording in a string sample into the Akai S950. It was about 20 seconds or so long. The idea was to make something that could be pitched up reasonably high and still have a reasonable length to it.
Once I completed sampling into the S950, I used my Akai MPC Live to create a mono sampled key group patch from the content. The auto sampler tried to put in loop points, but they were completed busted, so I disabled sample looping. I have to say, I do like some of the sounds in the lower keys (C0-C1), as the stretching from the S950 sounds pretty heavy and dark.
You can download the content at S950 Strings and extract the .zip file into your media of choice on the MPC Live/X. The samples are .wav format, so you can load them into your sampler of choice even if you don’t have an MPC Live/X. If you end up using the sound in anything you create drop it in the comments below!