Here is my next patch for my MPC X Tape Grand Piano. I started with a multisample Grand Piano sampled into the Akai S950 at C/F note intervals. So samples a bit stretched, but it sounds pleasant enough, and certainly a bit more realistic than the strings a made recently.
The patch was again routed through a tape effect to give it some not so subtle tape warble. A pretty big problem that I had making this patch, is that it is over 60 samples, and while the auto sampler in the MPC X/Live is nice, it isn’t a complete solution. So I ended up spending a fair amount of time trimming the samples, only to remember that there is still a bug that if you record the content through a single input, it still records the sample as stereo.
I ended up using Fission as my rescue, since it has the ability to batch convert files, allowing me to get the samples halved in size from about 50mb down to 24mb or so. There was no stereo content so it wasn’t really a loss, and more of a productive savings. I’m going to have to keep auto recording patches though so I can get a better workflow established. Once things settle down I’ll definitely make sure I take some better notes.
I haven’t played with the patch too much, I’ll need to see how stable (or unstable) chords sound. I’ve considered normalizing all the samples, but for now they are at a fairly quiet level. I was hearing clipping coming in from some part of the input chain, so I’ll definitely need to spend some more time and figure out where I am going wrong. I bet it is both simple and obvious.
As before, the Program file is MPC X/Live, but the .wav files can be used anywhere. If you end up using the patch in anything, please feel free to drop a link in the comments!