Akai MPC Live mk2 / One CV outs

If you’re like me, and looking to integrate CV output from your MPC so that you can track out gate and CV to devices that will take CV input, you’ll find a difference from the MPC X to the MPC Live mk2 / One. On the MPC X, it has eight discrete CV output jacks, so you can connect a TS 1/8″ cable to the jack to each of the CV ports for each channel.

Unfortunately on the MPC Live mk2 and the MPC One, instead of having eight CV jacks, you only have four jacks, but these jacks are TRS style, so if you’ve got the right cables to split the output to two channels, you can get access to all eight.

There are several types of cables you can use to do this, but I picked up the Hosa Technology YMM-261 from Amazon.

Hosa Technology YMM-261

With four of these cables you will be able to split the four CV jacks on your MPC Live mk2 or MPC One. Of note, the cable labelled TIP will be your CVs 1/2/3/4 and the cable labelled RING will be your CVs 5/6/7/8. Just keep this in mind as you are routing your CV cables into your gear and you’ll be all set. To keep my own sanity, I got a set of different colored 3′ cables, so that I could try and remember which CV output from the MPC mk2 corresponds with which color.

Colored CV outputs

For my tastes I did the following:

  • CV1 – Red
  • CV2 – Orange
  • CV3 – Yellow
  • CV4 – Green
  • CV5 – Blue
  • CV6 – Purple
  • CV7 – Brown
  • CV8 – Grey

Obviously your milage may vary here, but this has really helped me get the right CV output to the appropriate module. Good luck, and happy patching!

Modular Tennessee

This is a patch I’ve been playing around with on my eurorack gear while I am awaiting the case to get everything installed.

The intent for this recording wasn’t to get a clean sound… and yeah… I’m just using my cellphone mic. I was mostly testing out a new stand I got to see how much bump/wabble/wiggle the stand introduced in the video. You can hear some background noise (sorry about that), but I wasn’t too interested in hooking up a proper audio recording device to sync everything. Probably next time.

For those interested in such things… this is roughly what is going on with the patch:

  • The DPO/RxMx is playing that noise and percussive type sound. I achieved this by using Brains to sequence Pressure Points, and cause the mix of the DPO’s final sound around. It’s nothing too fancy, but it can be a quick way to get a strike gate on the RxMx and generating sounds.
  • The Morphagene is doing some pad type duty of a piano chord I recorded, and then moving the pitch around and then driving in through Magneto to get some screwy tape delay effects. From here… the Magento output is going into Mimeophone, which is then adding some additional space/depth to the pad.
  • The Assimil8r is driving the main drum sounds, using the built in 808 effects. This is being sequenced by Pamela’s New Workout… which is effectively just mapped to output a pretty standard house four on the floor kick, snare, and hat… by just changing the gate speeds. Really not fancy, but was a quick thing to put together.
  • Wogglebug is playing primary clock duty here, and is providing a lot of the signals to get sound movement. I kept the routing rather simple here with Wogglebug… but it added enough to keep things interesting.
  • The other “tricks” here… I’ve setup X-Pan to so that I can do some light mixing duty, but it isn’t anything terribly fancy, and then this is output to QPas just so I can do a smile pass filter to help accentuate different sounds.

No More Technology – #Jamuary

No eurorack modules were harmed in the making of this video. The PO-32 (Tonic) makes up the drums, the PO-35 (Voice) is how I got the “No More Technology” hook, and… the lead/bass came from some Eurorack mess. I recorded all of this into Ableton Live for some FX processing. All of this was recorded back in October/November, and I’ve meant to create a finished track.

In the spirit of #Jamuary though, I figured I’d break out some gear and refine the track a bit more. I’m really trying to cap myself to about 30-60 minutes of production time this month for each song. This is good in some ways because it’s forcing me to get ideas down, but it is bad in a few other ways since I’m really not mixing/mastering anything. Leaving this track with a bit more of a tinny sound than I’d like, but hey it is what it is.

I used to be a master with Ableton Live back in the day, but I haven’t touched it much lately. First, I have been kind of a hardware snob… so there’s that. Second, most of my productions were done between Live 1.1 and Live 6.0. I’ve really fallen quite behind in a lot of features, so I’m going to have to learn the software again.